Finally, on November first, Costa Rica will open borders to all United States, and flights between the two countries will start going back to normal. But, is it safe traveling to Costa Rica during the COVID-19 Pandemic?
As long as you follow up with security protocols, take care of you, wear a mask in public places, and avoid staying in crowded places, there is nothing to fear and a lot to enjoy.
The contagious rate in Costa Rica is proportionally low; the people are aware of protocols and the measures taken to stop the spread.
Does Costa Rica have a robust health system?
Yes, the country has one of the vigorous and steady health systems in the world. It counts with 1043 Ebais, which are small clinics for basic. It also has around 30 hospitals within the seven provinces and high qualify personal working at them.
All the data above is related to the public health system; nonetheless, there is private hospitals small and big size in all the providences. There is no doubt; if by any chance you get sick, you will receive all the help need it.
COVID-19: Official Protocol to arrive in Costa Rica without issues.
Coronavirus got here to change the way we used to do everything. It changed the way we live, the way we relate, the way we work, and of course, the way we travel.
However, after a few months of border closed and to see the airports without travelers, countries are star opening their border with some regulations and protocols. Costa Rica is not an exception to this. Let’s get to know what is the protocols and the rules to enter Costa Rica.
Requirements to do before getting to Costa Rica:
1. PCR COVID-19 Test Prior Landing Here
You must take a COVID-19 PCR test within 48 hours before traveling to Costa Rica. Please note if your PCR test is positive, you should get medical attention, and unfortunately, you cannot take your flight. Keep the PCR test result with you; migration and health personal would be asking for it at the airport and again; without it, you cannot travel.
2. Get travel insurance!
You may get the insurance at a local company or in your country. You must make sure the insurance is for international travel, and it has a coverage of $20.000 for health expenses and $4.000 for accommodation as a minimum.
Not having international travel insurance with you when getting here; might make you get one here. And believe me, in Costa Rica, this insurance is expensive; do not forget to get yours in the USA.
3. Fill out the form to check your health history
You may access the Ministerio de Salud form here. Please note if you don’t complete that or submit fake information, you won’t be eligible to enter Costa Rica.
How to monitor border status during the COVID-19 Pandemic?
You may get the latest information about the conditions of the border either at the airport profiles or with the Ministerio de Migracion y Extranjeria.
Costa Rica has only two International Airports, and here you may check their official profiles and account on social media platforms:
- Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO): Facebook Page
- Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO): Official Website
- Liberia International Airport (LIR): Instagram Account
- Liberia International Airport (LIR): Facebook Page
- Liberia International Airport (LIR): Official Website
Unfortunately, none of the airports have an English social media profile or account and do not have an official Twitter Profile. However, their official websites have an English version.
- Ministerio de Migracion y Extrangeria de Costa Rica Twitter Profile
- Ministerio de Migracion y Extrangeria de Costa Rica official website
What you can do in case you need to check information from one of those profiles is to use Google Translator to get the post in your language.
Once you are at the airport:
1. Qualify Health Personal will measure your temperature
If your temperature it’s higher than 38 Celcius / 100.4 Fahrenheit, you will take you to a living room to monitor the situation and to take a second temperature measure.
2. Follow the floor signs.
You will notice signs all over the place, indicating where to wait when queuing or waiting for luggage. Those lines placed there; are to avoid crowds.
3. Wear your mask.
Due to Ministerio de Salud’s instruction, you must wear your mask at all times while at the airport or while going to your destination by public transportation or taxi.
What do US authorities say about traveling to Costa Rica during COVID-19?
Due to the Coronavirus; Travel State Office has been emitting alerts like the one below for almost all countries:
Costa Rica Travel Advisory Costa RicaReconsider travel to Costa Rica due to COVID-19. Exercise increased caution in Costa Rica due to crime.
If you decide to traveling to Costa Rica:
- See the US Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- US citizens should always exercise caution when traveling abroad.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Costa Rica.
Once you get to your hotel destination, all the lines and checks are going to be in the past. It will be time for you to relax and to enjoy your vacation.
Traveling to Costa Rica during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Frequently Asked Questions.
What are the recommendations for people traveling to Costa Rica during COVID-19 Pandemic?
To follow up on the established protocols, to avoid crowded places, keep your hands clean, wear a mask while in public places.
When do I have to wear a mask during the COVID-19 Pandemic?
According to the OMS and the Ministerio de Salud de Costa Rica, you should wear a mask whenever you are in a public place, from a shopping mall to a bus stop, you must wear a mask to protect yourself and those around you.
Can the Corona Virus disease spread through food?
According to the scientific community and health organizations, food does not provide an appropriate ambiance for the virus to survive. However, if you are buying fruits or vegetables is better to wash them before storage or consuming to lower risks.
Is there a vaccine for the Corona Virus disease?
Unfortunately, not yet; pharmaceutics companies in different countries are currently working 24/7 to get the vaccine done and safe. As soon as there is a safe vaccine to fight the Coronavirus, I do not doubt that news will be one of the most relevant headlines of the year.
Do I still need to quarantine for 14 days if I was around someone who has COVID-19?
The answer to this question can vary a lot:
- If you receive an order from Ministerio de Salud to stay in quarantine, the answer is yes; you must stay at your hotel or apartment for that time frame.
- If you were around to someone who has Covid-19 and you are not sure about your situation, you should take a PCR test and wait in your hotel or apartment until you get the results.
When it comes to COVID-19; taking care of the others is taking care of you, be honest and conscious with yourself and the potential risks and situation you face every day, and take care of you all the time.
Can COVID-19 spread by people without symptoms?
Yes, being near to asymptomatic people is one of the highest risks you will face when going out of your house.
It is one of the main reasons why you must wear a mask when you are in a public place and also why you must avoid crowded places.
I hope these lines help you with your trip to Costa Rica during winter or the holidays. If you have any feedback, please comment below and help me to improve.
- Traveling to Costa Rica during COVID-19These are the latest requirements updates you should know if you’re traveling to Costa Rica during COVID-19.
- Traveling to Costa Rica during COVID-19Finally, on November first, Costa Rica will open borders to all United States. But, is it safe traveling to Costa Rica during COVID-19 Pandemic?
- Top 10 Questions Before Visiting Costa Rica!When we are going to visit a foreign country for the first time, there are a lot of questions popping up in our minds. I will help you with those top 10 questions before visiting Costa Rica!
- How do I plan a vacation trip?Let’s be realistic, nobody wants to feel the time off took was a waste of time or money; on the contrary, you want to experience the best vacation ever, to have amazing pictures and stories to tell to your relatives and friends.